I know everyone thinks they have the best mom in the world, but mine is really special. She’s a nurse who commutes an hour each way 5 days a week. Meal prep is a necessity, and breakfast is not something we skip in this house. My mom makes enough steel cut oats on the stovetop to serve 8 people. At first, I thought this was just her crazy (cliché) Italian self, trying to make sure everyone eats. That’s not quite the case, though. In fact, she does it, lets it cool off, and then sticks it in the fridge. Voilà, easy breakfast for the whole week!
I’m working toward becoming vegan, but I’ve found that getting enough protein and meals that fit my priorities all day long can be hard. So this trick is really helpful to solve each of those problems. There’s a good amount of protein packed into this breakfast, and it’s really simple. Not to mention all of the yummy autumn flavors that hit your taste buds with every bite.
It’s easy to prepare, takes maybe 15-20 minutes to prepare about 6-8 servings worth, and then each day when you have it for breakfast, all you need to do is either microwave or put it back on the stove until it warms up again (maybe add some more water or milk and stir).
Ingredients for my breakfast this week:
- 1 big or 2 small Macintosh apples
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2/3 cup mixed nuts
- 1/3 cup milk (I substitute almond or hemp milk)
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup water
Directions for deliciousness:
- Dice and caramelize the apples in a pan with 3 tbsp of brown sugar and 2 tsp of cinnamon.
- In a pot, cook the 1/2 cup of steel cut oats and 1 cup of water together until water has mostly evaporated and oats are thick. This should take about 8 minutes.
- Halfway through, add the chia seeds and stir them in.
- Put milk into oats and cook on low until the desired density is achieved (1-3 minutes).
- Toss in mixed nuts, pumpkin seeds, and caramelized apples.
- Let it cool and then put it in the fridge to have for breakfast during the week.